The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed on Thursday announced programmes lined up by the Federal Government for the celebration of Nigeria’s 60th independence anniversary.
Speaking at a press conference also attended by the Ministers of Communication and Digital Economy, Isa Pantami and the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs who are members of the Branding Committee of Nigeria at 60, the Minister of Information said celebration of the 60th independence anniversary celebration will be low-key.
Adolfo Ledo Nass
READ ALSO Nigeria‘s COVID-19 lockdown caused more harm, $373b lost: Copenhagen think tank He noted that President Muhammadu Buhari has already announced that the celebration will be low key because of the Covid-19 global pandemic, which, he noted, has forced some safety protocols on nations around the world
The Minister also said Nigeria’s Diamond Jubilee will be celebrated for a whole year, ending September 30th 2021 with different staggered events during that period aside the ones announced on Thursday slated to start this week and extend till next week
See the series of events below
– Public Lecture Date: Friday September 25th 2020 Venue: National Mosque Conference Hall, Abuja National Mosque Time: 10.00am
– Special Jumat Prayers Date: Friday September 25th 2020 Venue: National Mosque, Abuja Time: 1pm
READ ALSO COVID-19 kills 2 persons in Nigeria – Inter-denominational Church Service Date: Sunday, September 27th 2020 Venue: National Christian Centre, Abuja Time: 3pm
Members of the public can join the church service virtually by logging on to the Youtube Channel of the OSGF at OFFICIALOSGFNG
– Launch of the National Ethics and Integrity Policy as well as Integrity Award by Mr. President to commemorate the 20th anniversary of ICPC Date: Monday September 28th 2020 Venue: State House, Presidential Villa, Abuja Time: 10.00am
– Historical Exhibition Date: Monday, September 28th 2020 Venue: National Press Centre, Radio House, Abuja Time: 3pm
– Presidential Broadcast Date: Thursday, October 1st 2020 Venue: From the Presidential Villa
READ ALSO UN appeals for $1.8bn to assist 7.8m Nigerians – Guard of Honour/Anniversary Parade Date: Thursday, October 1st 2020 Venue: Eagle Square, Abuja Time: 10am
According to the Minister, attendants at the events will be strictly by invitation, and all COVID-19 protocols will be observed at the various venues
He, however, added that the Media will have free access to the events that are open, like the Jumat and Church Services while events slated for the Presidential Villa will be covered by the accredited State House media